Research has shown that owning a pet as an older adult can have many benefits and actually extend your life. The emotional benefits of having a pet, such as a therapy dog, can actually lead to physical benefits. Just the act of holding an animal can lower blood pressure. Did you already have a heart attack?… Having a pet increases your long-term survival rate compared to those who don’t, and more pet-owners make it to the one year survival mark after that medical event.
The most serious disease for older adults 55+ isn’t heart disease, it’s not even cancer… it’s loneliness! It’s been shown that widows with pets are medically healthier during their first critical year of stress without a partner. A pet can relieve symptoms of depression and provide the greatest medicine that a doctor can’t prescribe…LOVE.
A therapy dog or companion pet can provide these additional health benefits:
- Reduce feelings of stress
- Pet owners have lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels
- Increase your sense of responsibility and alertness
- Reduce your sense of loneliness
- Increased physical activity during the day by pet grooming, dog walking, and even petting improve circulation.
- Release endorphins add joy and love in your life
- With improved overall health, decreased doctor appointments save money
Sanctuary Lane Estates is a pet friendly, adult community in Hopkinton, Massachusetts. Many of our residents can enjoy walking their pets on a private cul-de-sac street as you greet neighbors and enjoy the fresh air. Hopkinton itself is also a pet friendly community holding such events as the “Paws and Claws 5K Run/Walk” through beautiful Hopkinton state park. To find out more details about pet ownership contact the Baypath Humane Society or Hopkinton Animal Control.